Nov 23 2009

My “Things To Do For Christmas” list

Posted by: Stacey at 11:22 pm » 10 Comments
In: Faith,Holidays | Email This Post Email This Post |

Good grief! I sat down tonight to start making a list of things I needed to do in order to prepare for hosting Christmas lunch next month and, well – I didn’t expect the danged thing to be so long! It’s so long, it rivals Santa’s list of people who have been naughty this year. 😐 No bigs – it’ll get done, but it just goes to show that in spite of what I may want to believe about myself, in reality I am a perfectionist. “Clean carpet spots” – that no one can see. Seriously?!

Fortunately, most of my Christmas shopping is done. I’ve gotten about 80% of it done, all of it via online ordering. The remaining 20% will have to be done in the stores as there are some unique gifts to get that I either can’t find online or are too expensive to buy online. Plus, I like to add little small touches to a lot of the gifts I give to give them a bit of extra personality. I love buying gifts for people – I just wish that when I wrapped them they looked better. Thank God for gift bags! 😀

I normally send out between 40 and 50 Christmas cards a year, but this year it will be about 10. My desktop crashed back in September and I haven’t had a chance to rebuild my address list (which I had saved in Word). On one hand, it makes me sad because I enjoy doing that every year – especially for people who I don’t exchange gifts with, but on the other hand with everything on my plate right now, it’ll be welcome relief. I’ll rebuild that list next year in order to make sure I can send out cards to the friends whose addresses I have lost. Even though I don’t get a Christmas card from everyone on my list, it’s not about getting a card – it’s about saying hello and keeping in touch, and letting that person know that they are in your thoughts.

Thanksgiving’s only three days away, and you’d think I’d skipped right over it and headed straight for Christmas. Guess that’s an indication that I may be a “Christmas junkie.” I just dig the season, the sights, the sounds, the warmth of having family and friends around. But most importantly, I enjoy Christmas for the reason for the season.

And lastly, I can’t end any Christmas post without referencing my favorite Christmas cartoon/music of all time. Enjoy 🙂

(Video link)

Comments/TB (10)

10 Responses to “My “Things To Do For Christmas” list”

1. Severianon 24 Nov 2009 at 8:41 am

I know what you mean about time, where did this year go? It can’t be Thanksgiving already, and Christmas is only a month away. Plus, I’ve got to get ready for Saturnalia, on Dec 22nd I intend to have a Roman Empire sized hangover. 😛

I’m a bit behind in shopping myself. But, thank God for the Internet, I hate crowds and shopping in person.

Ah, Charlie Brown’s Christmas…one of my perpetual faves, I remember seeing it the first time it ever aired as a kid back in the ’60’s on a Magnavox B&W TV, the picture tube had rounded sides. And I think I’ve seen it every year since, and the music is a must in my Christmas mix. It’s odd, there are three Christmas things I have to watch every year, Charlie Brown, A Christmas Story (You’ll put your eye out kid!), and the Blackadder Christmas Special. Funny, two are sweet and touching, the last is a sharp tongued, cynical, and deliciously funny anti-Christmas romp. I use it as an antidote to the saccharin overload of the season.

My wife schedules the week before Christmas to load up on Netflix Christmas DVDs, digs out the tapes(!), and watches a continuing stream of old movies, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, Holiday Inn, etc. Thus the need for Blackadder for me to wash the sugar coating off! 💡

2. Anthonyon 24 Nov 2009 at 8:43 pm

Ooooh! What did you get me? :mrgreen:

3. Sister Toldjahon 24 Nov 2009 at 9:08 pm

Anthony,

A lump of coal! 😉

Did you know they actually sell things like that in little gift bags? I’ve gotten one before 😀

4. Sister Toldjahon 24 Nov 2009 at 9:10 pm

Sev,

Your wife sounds like a Christmas movie junkie like me 😉 Do you two watch Christmas Vacation every year? That one is my fave Christmas movies – I swear I find something new to laugh about in it everytime I see it!

5. Severianon 24 Nov 2009 at 10:04 pm

She’s not a fan of Christmas Vacation, though I love Randy Quaid in it. The scene with the teflon polished snow saucer is a riot. But she’s addicted to every other old holiday flick.

Blackadder is still my fave. One scene, Christmas morning he and his servant, Baldric, come down, no presents. Baldric complains, nothing again, and Blackadder takes his stocking down and says, reaching into it:

Blackadder: Well Baldric, if you look in here you’ll find something for you in here, I made it for you myself!

Baldric: Oh, that’s the kind of gift that shows the most love! (Blackadder pulls out his hand balled up into a fist) What is it?

Blackadder: It’s a fist.

Baldric: What it’s for?

Blackadder: It’s for hitting…(POW smacks Baldrick in the face) and the nice thing about it is, you can use it again (POW) and again (POW) and again (POW)…(Baldric wobbles some) Now, what do you say Baldric?

Baldric: Thank you Mr. B.

Blackadder: Think nothing of it Baldric, I certainly think nothing of you (POW).

Suddenly a little street urchin crawls up the the 2nd story window, and yells in “Gimme a penny Mr. Blackadder!”

Blackadder walks over to the window, and snaps it open…Aaaaaaah…thud.

😆

6. Ryanon 25 Nov 2009 at 12:15 am

Ah yes, Christmas Vacation is a classic.

“Mornin, Clark. ****ter is full!”

7. Severianon 25 Nov 2009 at 1:32 pm

I especially like Clark’s rant when he finds out he got a jelly of the month club membership instead of a bonus. :mrgreen:

8. Sister Toldjahon 25 Nov 2009 at 2:06 pm

Ryan and Sev – yes, those are classic scenes 🙂

My favorite is when they’re all at the table to eat and Randy Quaid’s character says “save the neck for me Clark” and then later he talks about the jello mold (I think?) being “Mmmmm good.” LOL! That’s become a saying around the family holiday table every year. At least one of us will say it when we’re eating something we really like. “Hey mom, these devilled eggs are mmmmmm good” (belly rub commences) 😉

9. Ryanon 25 Nov 2009 at 7:55 pm

I also enjoy the scene where Eddie is just piling bag after bag of dog food in the cart…

10. Severianon 27 Nov 2009 at 4:35 pm

My wife just proudly brought me a printout of a recipe she found for Saturnalia cake! I told her I fully expect some this Saturnalia to go with the Roman dates I make (take dates, remove the pit and stuff with one almond and one hazelnut, roll in kosher salt, and fry in honey – ye gods, those are great!). The dates are one of Apicius’ recipes I believe (he was a Roman foodie who, when he ran out of money and had to eat like normal folk killed himself instead of compromising his diet – he wrote about the earliest cookbook ever, 1st century AD).